My Kids

My Kids
The real way to show love

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

an ice day

After several days of high fever and stomach problems for Miss Olivia.

Yesterday we had to bring Miss Olivia back into the doctor. She still just wasn't herself with a low grade fever and not keeping liquids down. She just would puke or have a number 2 diaper following every feeding. After visiting the doctor it was to Dr Kucks best interest that we would send Olivia on to get blood work done over at the hospital. She wanted to run a CBC and a dehydration drawl as well. 

This was an absolute mothers nightmare. Because of her dehydration the nurses were unable to get a vein as easily as they would have liked after poking her five times... Olivia just gave up. She stopped breathing. I looked up at her face.. and I screamed for them to stop. I picked her up and she finally took a big breathe. She was a blueish color by this point and basically was hyperventilating. It was so sad. The nurses felt awful and they called for someone to come down from the OB floor. They pricked her again, with no luck. At this point Kevin had showed up to meet me, and I quickly met him in the waiting room and told him to come in and hold Olivia down, because I could not do that to my daughter any longer. 


They tried one more time, and poked way deep and it was a success, they got the blood they needed, only an hour and fifteen minutes later. I was to return to work and await a phone call from the doc office and Kevin took the afternoon off to stay home with Olivia. 


I got a call an hour later and just as I had suspected/hoped everything was fine. She is slightly dehydrated, but nothing she needs to be hospitalized for at this time. The CBC came back good, meaning that she has a virus not a bacterial infection. All these results are good, but a mothers heart it also makes you think, great I just made her get poked 7 times and tortured for and hour and fifteen minutes for nothing! But I guess if the doctor is happy I am happy. 


As for today. Olivia and Gavin are at the sitters. And the storms a brewing outside. The babysitters Kids are home (no school) and Gavin is thrilled this means he has more kids to play with!

The news reporters just keep chatting away, there are warnings in the bottom of every TV station, the blizzard of 2011 is on it's way. According to the station we will be getting 5-10 inches of snow and several hours of ice to follow. By the looks of it tomorrow may be no work or school but instead of a snow day - an ice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment