My Kids

My Kids
The real way to show love

Thursday, February 24, 2011

drink yogurt

Apparently the first thing I need to learn as a mom of a toddler is that they never forget - never. My son has more recently become obsessed with the - you said.... and then repeats word for word what I had said a time before. A great example of that would be the other week when I took him to the store and he had asked if he could get cookies and I said no... and he said... you said next time mom... next time. So yes, I may of said that but what I meant is "no - please stop asking" - ooops secret is out. 

Well last night was another one of those nights, when nothing seems to go right, we started off on a good foot, he had actually finished the entire meal and asked for seconds. Which was good - no complaining or wining, success. But then after meal he was upset because he couldn't find a certain "digger" a truck basically. Then he was unable to find his small "woody" the figure from toy story 3, he could find buzz but not woody. One crying fit after the next. Finally we suggested maybe it was time for a bath. Well - go figure I used the wrong bubbles. Tears there as well. After a drug out screaming cleaning match. He was clean, dry and in his PJ's - ready for snack. 

Snack is a pretty valuable word in our house. Usually you can get him to do just about anything for a snack... but last night was a different story. He had decided that he needed to pick what he was having for snack. I agreed and opened the pantry. He looked around up and down the shelves for what seemed for ever. All thirty pounds of him rested securely on my hip has he just stared. He seemed as though he would never make up his mind. I then said come on Gavin, I don't have all night and I just grabbed a packet of fruit snacks. Well the last thing you ever want to do is rush a two year old apparently because that was a mistake to make. I had thought he would be thrilled with the thought of fruit snacks, but no - not this time. He wanted to "do it" - meaning he would be picking it out this evening. 

I mentioned that maybe we pick something form the fridge then. Maybe string cheese, yogurt.. and he stops and says... ya yogurt. So I put him in his chair and he immediately begins screaming - mind you I have not even got the yogurt out of the fridge. I tell him to chill out I am getting it. and he squeals.. no mommy "drink yogurt" (oh the drinkable - they are such wonders right now... it's a kids best friend - a favorable yogurt liquid drink.) However at this time we of coarse have none. I tell him that I'm sorry we have none. They are all gone. And this is when the fit truly began. 

Before I knew it he was screaming and spinning around on the ground on the kitchen floor. Surprised and upset with his behavior I mentioned that maybe he was so upset and crying because he was tired. "tired" wow. never say that to a two year old either. How I have forgotten the forbidden word. By this time he was crying so hard that he would occasionally gag. UGH - make it stop. I remember thinking - what can I do - he is totally beyond a freaking out point. He has lost it. 

I brought him into his bedroom and set him on his bed. Went down to his level and firmly said. We have no drink yogurt right now. I am sorry but you can not have any. Maybe if you go ask your dad, next time he goes to the store he can buy you some. 

"he will...." you hear amongst the sobs. 

"yes... maybe... if you are good and ask him nicely"

Soon he is trailing his little body down the hall way into the living room and to the side of daddy's chair. Kevin looks down at him and makes mention of him being a big boy and not crying anymore and Gavin proudly slows his breathing enough to studder/say -

"when.. when... you go to store and get bread can you get drink yogurt... "

Kevin looks at him and then looks at me and says to our little man "of coarse" 

Gavin then responds "thanks daddy... puh weeze (please)..." and picks up greeny and makes his way back to his room and lays down in bed. ask for a hug and kiss from me.

When I checked on him a couple minutes later he was out - no snack. He had forgotten all about it, and had worn himself out with the drama over the drink yogurt. Well you would think it would end then. 

This morning I was getting ready for work in the bathroom and my husband had already left for the day - when little Gavin comes wondering into the bathroom. "morning mom - wheres daddy... " (he asks this every morning, he knows exactly what I'm going to say - at work... but today i decide to change it a little)

"I dont' know Gavin, do you know where he is?? " I asked in a concerned voice, and you would not believe the answer I got from my 2 year old!

"He's at store mom... he get Gavin drink yogurt!"

No comments:

Post a Comment